Thursday 10 October 2013

7 keeps for winter travel - { China Calling }

November is almost here, do you have any trips planned this winter? Ski or maybe a simple snow play somewhere in the highlands?

I am planning to travel this winter, I haven’t yet zeroed down on the destination yet, but China is on my radar. Considering its incredibly low temperatures during Dec – Jan time, it’s an ambitious decision. So if at all I zero down on it, I’d prefer to have all my basics in place. I always try to travel light (after all, it’s me who has to carry and drag all the weight around), but here are the must haves that I’ve decided to carry no matter how heavy my bags get.

Here goes the list of my 7 items for winter travel:

1.     Layer, layer, layer: Carry good thermal wear and lots of basics for layering. It works best and can save you even in the harshest of winters. {Firsthand experience: During one of the trips to Europe, I visited Mt. Titilis. As stupid as it might sound, I took out all my woolen wear to reduce baggage weight and didn’t have even a single sweater, woolen jacket or a scarf. To avoid the chill of the Alps from running down my spine to every bone of my body, all I did was layer up in my basics. I wore T-shirts one on top of another and topped off with a cotton blazer. Popped a couple of cod liver oil capsules and I was all fit and active like an elf on the North Pole.}

Layering - Winter Fashion
Layering - Winter Fashion
first and third from left: DKNY Fall RTW 2013 collection & Phillip Lim Fall RTW 2013 | Image courtesy: Style.com
Second and last images are from Pinterest

2. Big fat jackets: Leather jackets with fur lining go a long way to keep you all warmed up. For places like Beijing, a down coat can come in handy as a protection against the chilliness. 
Big Fat Jackets - Winter Fashion
Big Fat Jackets - Winter Fashion
Left and center images are from Pinterest 
Right most Image from 10 Crosby Derek Lam Fall RTW 2013 collection| Image courtesy: Style.com

3.       Slouchy woolen sweater with a belt: It’s so chic, comfortable and warm even without a jacket. Try on some cashmere wool and you shall not need a bonfire.
Slouchy Sweater
Slouchy Sweaters - Winter Fashion
Left: Alexander Wang Fall 2013 collection| Image courtesy: Style.com'  
Center and right images are from Pinterest

4.       A good trench: One trench coat can go a long way to save life and yet look chic. I am already digging these short pastel colored trench coats, though I wonder how warm will these be.

Pastel colored Trench Coats
Pastel colored Trench Coats
Image courtesy: Pinterest

Check out this gorgeous user generated collage of trench coats http://artofthetrench.com/ on an app by Burberry? 
Art of Trench
Art of Trench
5. Shoes: I am not a big fan of Uggs however I know many, who look equally stunning in Uggs as they look in 6 inch heels. I’d rather stick with comfortable, yet smart selection of calf length boots from the likes of Hush Puppies and Steve Madden, a great option to go with jeans, trench coats and dresses alike.
Winter Boots - Hush Puppies and Steve Madden
Winter Boots - Hush Puppies and Steve Madden

6. Accessories: Scarves, woolen socks, leg warmers, gloves and caps. I love woolen nech rings/warmers, got one last winter from Germany. They feel and look great and are a must have this winter on any trip to the winter lands.

Winter Accessories
Winter Accessories
Image courtesy: Pinterest

All indivisual images are on my Pinterest board: {Winter Fashion} 

7. And a good pairs of denims. No trip with complete without JEANS

Apart from all the fashion and clothing must haves during the winter travel, I have listed a few to do things below. Hope you find them handy and helpful, let me know your thoughts either way.

-     No matter how cold, always carry a water bottle to keep you hydrated

-     Moisturizer and sunscreen to avoid chapped, dry skin and sunburns

-     Explore the winter food. I am not sure if I’ll get any vegetarian food options in china, so if I don’t get anything fancy, I’ll try to stick with tea and hot clear soups with vegetables + some fried eggs on a slice of bread to go with it.

-     A comfortable small cross body sling bag (not a tote) with sufficient space, to keep cash, travelers checks, passport and camera.

-     Keep a woolen scarf handy. Instead of keeping it in a carry bag, I prefer keeping it close to me, tied snuggly on my sling bag.

-    For evenings carry a warm LBD in the length that suits, team it up with leggings, maybe a statement necklace, good pair of 4 inch heels and a trench coat to finish off the look.

-     Be warm inside J If possible have two capsules every morning to avoid any and all cold problems, sneezing, whizzing and going crazy on a trip that you planned to enjoy. If you eat sea food, salmon is a great option that will keep you cozy in winters.
Cod liver oil capsules
Cod liver oil capsules
Check out all these indivisual images on my Pinterest board: {Winter Fashion} 

Until the next trip
- Rakshita

Follow me on Twitter | Pinterest |Facebook | Google+ |GypsyFly

No comments:

Post a Comment